Published in journal "National Security / nota bene", 2014-1 in rubric "External threats and countermeasures", pages 86-93.
Resume: This article provides analysis of threats to national security of Russia in the central Asian region due to the expected withdrawal of the International Security Assistance Force from Afghanistan. It is expected that after the military forces of the USA and their European allies are withdrawn from Afghanistan, the territory shall be controlled by the Taliban and the demarcation line between the Taliban power and the pro-Western Karzay government shall be at the same position, which previously divided the Taliban from the Northern Alliance. In this case it should be expected that the Central Asia, including Kyrgyzstan shall lose their status of the territories in the strategic rearward area of the ISAF, guaranteeing supply of the Afghanistan operation, and they shall become the frontline of defense from the export of Islamism, terrorism, and narcotic drugs into Russia and European stats. In this case the growing threat to the international security from Afghanistan shall be a durability test for the Russian-Kyrgyz relations and cooperation in the sphere of security.
Keywords: political science, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, national security, threats, politics, international relations, cooperation, integration.
1. Arunova M. R. Afganistan na pereput'e // Aziya i Afrika segodnya, ¹ 1, 2005. S. 16–18.
2. Korgun V. G. Afganistan. Prezidentskie vybory i vybor orientirov // Aziya i Afrika
segodnya, ¹ 4, 2005. S. 41–49.
3. Korgun V. G. Perspektivy situatsii v Afganistane // Ekonomika i politika v sovre-
mennykh vooruzhennykh konfliktakh. Otv. red. A. D. Bogaturov. M.: LKI, 2008. S.291–293.
4. Elliot A. Political Party Development in Afghanistan: Challenges and Opportunities // Policy
Options for State-Building in Afghanistan. SAIS Spring, 2009.
5. Tarnoff C. Afghanistan: U. S. Foreign Assistance. Report R40699 by Congressional Research
Service. August 12, 2011. CRS-12.
6. Manoylo A. V. Interesy vneshney politiki SShA v Afganistane. // Natsional'naya bez-
opasnost'.— 2012.— ¹ 3.— S. 76–81.
7. Afghanistan in 2010. A Survey of the Afghan People. Kabul: The Asia Foundation, 2010. P. 49.
8. Mendkovich N. A. Uspekhi ISAF v bor'be s afganskoy vooruzhennoy oppozitsiey // Vestnik
Analitiki, ¹ 45 (3), 2011.
9. Afghanistan: Annual Report on Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict, 2010. Kabul: United
Nations Assistance Mission to Afghanistan, 2011.
10. Afghanistan: Midyear report 2012. Annual Report on Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict.
Kabul: United Nations Assistance Mission to Afghanistan, 2012.
11. Friedman G. The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st century. N.Y.: Doubleday, 2009.
Correct link to this article:
just copy this link to clipboard